WE ALL HAVE THOSE FOODS THAT HAVE BEEN MADE BY OUR mothers and grandmothers for years. Macaroni and sauce with meatballs is just one of those comfort dishes that a lot of people grew up with. Today, I’m offering a fresh yet still family-friendly meatball recipe that tastes like a burger and is super easy to make. Ketchup and Dijon mustard lend great consistency and tangy flavor, while fresh parsley keeps the flavor bright. Use these meatballs to make sandwiches, or as an addition to your favorite pasta and sauce. You can even serve them on their own with whatever vegetables you like if you want to mix things up a little. This recipe has all the tradition of the homemade meatball but the flavors just might surprise you. Another great variation would be for “Cheeseburger Meatballs.” When you throw everything in the bowl and mix it all together, add some shredded cheese to the mix – whatever variety you like. It’s yet another way to mix things up for your family if you want to take a step away from the “old same old.” Experiment and enjoy.
Ketchup and Mustard Meatballs
– 2 pounds ground meatloaf mixture
– 1 cup bread crumbs (I use panko)
– 2 eggs
– 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
– 1/2 cup ketchup
– 1/2 cup dijon mustard
– Salt and black pepper, to taste
– 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
1) Heat oven to 350°. Combine the ground meat, bread crumbs, egg, parsley, ketchup, mustard, salt, black pepper and garlic powder in a large bowl. Mix together with hands.
2) Using about 2 tbsp of mixture at a time, roll into golf ball-sized balls. Place balls on a parchment-paper lined baking sheet. Leave about 1-1 1/2″ between balls.
3) Bake meatballs for 18-20 minutes. Serve immediately with your favorite pasta and sauce or vegetables.
*** Variation: Cheeseburger Meatballs
Add 3/4 cup of your favorite shredded cheese to the bowl before mixing all the ingredients together.